Sunday, July 29, 2012

Golden Demon 2012 Coverage

It's late July and that can only mean one thing, it's time for Games Day Chicago.  What really gets me excited about Games Day is the Golden Demon painting competition, and winning one of those fancy trophies.

This year I decided to throw in my hat by submitting a grotesque with flesh gauntlet that I had modeled a year ago with some accompanying Talos/Cronos bitz.  Here he is.








I decided to go a little out of my comfort zone this time and do something that I had never done, lighting effects.  What started as a trial and error learning process (more error than trial to be honest), ended up being quite enjoyable project.  After all was said and done, I ended up with three different colored light sources which overlapped and interacted on some areas of the model and a ton of green glow.  Painting lighting effects was a lot of fun with a classic brush technique, but now I'm excited to see what the possibilites are with an air brush.

Though the model took up weeks of my time, it was only half the story and with Chicago nine hours away, only a road trip would do.


From left to right: my brother Andrew, me, Kent Plumb (five time demon winner), and Brandon Hershey, loaded up a budget rental and hit the road.  Unfortunately, my dog Zelda didn't go with us, but she likes being in pictures and hanging in the wolf pack.




The traffic was bad leaving KC, but after Brandon passed a multitude of "jink saves" around motorists and the like we were well on our way.  After four hours on the road, we stopped to get dinner at a likely sub shop and I decided to get soup with my sandwhich.  I know, I know, soup in July?  What madness!  And it turned out to be, for after eating the only offering they had (chili) I found myself groaning and doubled-over in the car dreaming of a rest stop.  None were to be found.  We zipped off the first exit we saw and wandered into a small town well after dusk had settled only to find that all the gas stations were closed.  Brandon quickly spotted a hole in the wall bar and dropped me off outside.  This was the kind of small town place where everybody knows your name, but they didn't no mine.  "The diarrhea walk of shame" my brother dubbed it and it truly was.  Lesson learned, don't eat chili in July.  Who knows how long that brown devil soup had been sitting out?



After we made the convention, things started to look better.  Here, Brandon, Andrew, and I are in line for the "speed demon" painting competition.


I got second with my night goblin!

After speed painting it was time to pop back over to the GD cases to see where our entries stood.




Sadly, Andrew and Kent's Lord of the Rings solo minis didn't make first cut, but mine look well into the running.

You'll have to forgive the video quality (blogger's hosting isn't the highest), but there turned out to be a whole case full of 40k monster entries, in fact...


After hours of waiting mine remained at the top of the case as one of the final five!  By that time I was contending with a winged hive tyrant and a couple of orcs.  Making the tough cut, I was feeling pretty good about my chances, but only time would tell who would walk away with a trophy. Duhn duhn duhn.



In the meantime we divided our time between looking at Armies on Parade (tons of cool ones, I voted for the death magic cult entry), standing in line waiting to look at the demon entries (pictured above is Christophe and Kent), browsing club events, and spending $$$ on limited ed models.  I restricted myself to one of each of the Games Day promos, a dice set, and a print of the the Path of the Ranger cover art.  Whoo!  Go Eldar.  There is a benefit to being a fan of that enigmatic race, there's always plenty of your product left at the end of the day!  Rumor was going around that a single individual (the first customer to reach the Black Library stall) had bought ALL of the primarch prints and a good handful of the Blood Angels ones.  His total bill was well within $800.  Madness, shear madness.


Kent also threw his hat in the speed demon painting competition.  At the rear table you can see the illustrious company he kept in his round, that of James and Kathy Wappel.  




After that he headed over to the quick draw competition, where he placed first with his sketch of a sister of battle.  The pic was really well done, but he was just edged out in the end for the overall by a pretty outstanding sketch of a dreadnought firing an assault cannon.

But what about that top model of mine sitting in judgment for a piece of hardware?





Unfortunately, I was edged out of the top three and took home a finalist pin.  Though this was sorely disappointing, the whole experience was a lot of fun and I'm looking forward to competing in future painting competitions, at Games Day or elsewhere!

3 comments:

  1. Excellent job and nothing to be ashamed of for sure! Chicago always has a lot to do and is a great host city. Now you can build on your experience and bring home a trophy for next year!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Excellent work and a worthy contender once again!
    James Craig

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks guys, it was a good experience and a lot was learned. I'm looking forward to going to Adepticon next April and perhaps Games Day again.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...