Thursday, February 27, 2014

Plots, Schemes, and a Look at March's New Releases!

Monster Lab Mini's bases and markers are hitting store shelves and are starting to get some buzz.  A good friend of mine made an excellent review of February's wave 1 releases.  Check it out below or on his youtube channel!


I've been hard at work not only sculpting up new bases, but painting a few of my own for use in my Malifaux play group.


Scheme Markers
To date I have four crews: Rasputina, Ramos, Marcus, and the Viktorias.  Three are Arcanists, and that is the faction I enjoy playing the most.  Rasputina works well with Joss, armoring him up and launching him into combat; all the ice constructs drop scrap for Ramos's shenanigans; and Marcus's beasts pair well with anyone needing some close combat punch added to their force.  Considering that, I decided to have my scheme markers draw heavily on those masters' shadowy machinations.


I showed you the crystal 5 pack last week, and here's another take on one bunch of crystals based with my favorite crushed glass snow.


Ice Gamin and Golems are constructs, and when they die they drop scrap markers.  A bunch of cogs or wiring simply won't due, but luckily this crystal base doubles excellently as a scheme or scrap marker!

Ice Golem and Ice Crystal Scrap Marker


The dynamite scheme marker is a definite fan favorite so far and is great for basing, I'm looking at you Papa Loco...






I knew I wanted to do a chest that was a bit out of the ordinary, and landed on the idea to do a glow emanating from the crack between lid and trunk.  Simply done, it makes it that much more Arcanisty.


It also works incredibly well as a "cursed object!"




Someone has gotten out their tools and is definitely up to no good.  I wonder who that could be...






At the heart of any good scheme is likely to be a pile of cash, in this case a literal pile of gold coins.




And now one of my personal favorites, the map that is going to be essential to carrying out the plot!  For my mini, I went with a world map and a clean dagger (it's yet to do its dirty work).








One of the other projects I've been working on is painting up my M&SU starter.  I have Joss on the painting table now, and after four hours in I've made some decent progress.  He's based on a scrap marker as are the rest of the crew!


And now for a sneak peek in the spirit of all good spoilers.. taken from a camera phone and a bit grainy.  (My buddy took it on his Android phone because I forgot my camera at home, ha ha)


On the left are two 50mm "wreck" bases slated for release early next month, and on the right, three 40mm wreck bases slated for the same.  These are designed to function exceptionally as bases, but can also be used as markers when your mechanical constructs go boom!



That's it for this week, come back next time to see what I'm working on here at the Lab!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...